Descendants of Johnathon Swarthout
Johnathon Swarthout was born May 3, 1780, probably in Orange Country, New York and died May 13, 1865. He is buried in Rising Cemetery near Ovid, NY. He married (1) Mary Smith, the widow of Nathanial Swarthout, on December 22, 1807. She was born October 08, 1765, and died November 07, 1824. He married (2) Amy Bet. 1824 - 1827. She died January 26, 1872 in Fitchville, Huron CO, Ohio. Johnathan's will is recorded. You can also see the records transcribed from the Nathanial Swarthout Family Bible.
Children of Johnathon Swarthout and Mary Smith are:
+ 2 i. George W. Swarthout, born May 03, 1808; died Bef. May 1865.
+ 3 ii. Lewis B. Swarthout, born December 08, 1810 in Romulus, Seneca, New York; died January 12, 1888 in Romulus, Seneca, New York.
Child of Johnathon Swarthout and Amy is:
4 i. Mary W. Swarthout, born July 20, 1828; died October 18, 1897. She married E. Watson VanVleet and moved to Ohio with her husband and widowed mother.
Generation No. 2
2. George W. Swarthout (Johnathon) was born May 03, 1808, and died
before the death of his father in May 1865. He married Elizabeth Clements.
Children of George Swarthout and Elizabeth Clements are:
5 i. George Swarthout, born Aft. 1850, before 1861.
6 ii. Mahlon Swarthout, born Aft. 1850, before 1861.
7 iii. Pertheny Swarthout, born Aft. 1861.
3. Lewis B. Swarthout (Johnathon) was born December 08, 1810 in Romulus,
Seneca, New York, and died January 12, 1888 in Romulus, Seneca, New York. He
married Hannah Densingburg. She was born August 12, 1811 in Germany, and died
December 14, 1886 and is buried in Ovid Cemetery.
Children of Lewis Swarthout and Hannah Densingburg are:
8 i. Peter C. Swarthout, born August 18, 1839; died July 04, 1866 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
+ 9 ii. John W. Swarthout, born February 28, 1842; died April 19, 1927 in Buried, Ovid Cemetery.
10 iii. Smith B. Swarthout, born February 26, 1849; died July 25, 1877 in Buried, Ovid Cemetery.
11 iv. Frank L. Swarthout.
12 v. George W. Swarthout, born December 17, 1833. He married Polly A.; born March 15, 1836; died February 16, 1892.
+ 13 vi. William B. Swarthout, born 1836; died 1911.
14 vii. Charles H. Swarthout.
Generation No. 3
9. John W. Swarthout (Lewis B., Johnathon) was born February 28, 1842, and died April 19, 1927 in Buried, Ovid Cemetary. He married (1) Martha J. Stockwell, daughter of Melotha M. Stockwell and Samantha. She was born March 08, 1842, and died October 05, 1869 in Ovid Landing, N.Y.. He married (2) Abbie B. (Swarthout). She was born February 29, 1836, and died October 03, 1905 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
He enlisted the 22nd of December 1863 with the 148th New York Infantry, Company E, which was comprised mostly of men from Seneca County - Specifically the towns of Ovid, Lodi, Romulus and Covert. His enlistment papers indicate his occupation as farmer of 21 years of age born in Romulus, New York.
The Casualty Sheet from the National Archives, prepared 11/11/1878, as well as the hospital records show he was wounded at the Second Battle of Cold Harbor on June 3rd, 1864. Hospital records list him as blue eyes, dark hair, dark complexion, 5 ft. 9 1/2 inches. He was admitted to Finley General Hospital on June 8th, 1864 (5 days after the battle). GSW [Gun Shot Wound] right arm above elbow ball entered middle third . . . lodging in body of Bicep. Missile was identified as a Minnie ball. Operated on June 23rd and ball extracted. Discharged on July 4th, 1865 on a Surgeon's Certificate. Pictures of his records and medals.
Notes for Abbie B. (Swarthout):
2nd Wife of John
Children of John Swarthout and Martha Stockwell are:
+ 15 i. Myron Henry Swarthout, born July 15, 1866 in Willard, NY; died March 10, 1943 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
+ 16 ii. Charles Lewis Swarthout, born 1868; died 1954.
Child of John Swarthout and Abbie (Swarthout) is:
17 i. Laura C. Swarthout, born July 20, 1876; died July 25, 1876 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
13. William B. Swarthout (Lewis B., Johnathon) was born 1836, and died 1911. He married Anna M. She was born 1841.
Child of William Swarthout and Anna M. is:
18 i. Emi E. Swarthout, born 1861; died 1881.
Generation No. 4
15. Myron Henry Swarthout (John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born July 15, 1866 in Willard, NY, and died March 10, 1943 in Buried Ovid Cemetery. He married Anna Louise Jones, daughter of Lewis Jones and Jane Banker. She was born March 03, 1868, and died June 01, 1956 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
Notes for Anna Louise Jones:
Gravestone shows Louisa Jones, wife.
Children of Myron Swarthout and Anna Jones are:
+ 19 i. Martha Jane Swarthout, born in Willard, NY; died in Utica, NY.
20 ii. Lewis Jones Swarthout, born September 15, 1897; died October 21, 1898 in Buried Ovid Cemetery.
+ 21 iii. John Wychoff Swarthout, born October 13, 1900 in Willard, Tompkins, NY; died October 01, 1979 in Buckhannon, Upshur, WV.
+ 22 iv. Myron Henry Swarthout, Jr., born February 04, 1909; died December 1986 in Canandaigua, NY 14424.
16. Charles Lewis Swarthout (John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born 1868, and died 1954. He married Nellie L. She died and is buried in Ovid Cemetery.
Children of Charles Swarthout and Nellie (Swarthout) are:
23 i. George A. Swarthout, born 1893; died January 23, 1967 in Ithaca, NY.
Listed in the 1896 Presbyterian Church Directory of Members
+ 24 ii. Lorenza "Windy" Swarthout, born 1895.
Generation No. 5
19. Martha Jane Swarthout (Myron Henry, John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born in Willard, NY, and died in Utica, NY. She married Peter Jennings Vander Poel in or 8/15/1923, son of Andrew Vander Poel and ? Jennings. He was born in New Baltimore, NY, and died in Long Island, NY.
More About Peter Vander Poel and Martha Swarthout:
Marriage: or 8/15/1923
Children of Martha Swarthout and Peter Vander Poel are:
25 i. Andrew Jennings Vander Poel. He married Phylis Jordan.
26 ii. Lois Ruth Vander Poel, born in Willard, NY.
21. John Wychoff Swarthout (Myron Henry, John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born October 13, 1900 in Willard, Tompkins, NY, and died October 01, 1979 in Buckhannon, Upshur, WV. He married Helen Elizabeth Murphy December 30, 1926 in Ithaca, Tompkins, NY, daughter of Arthur Murphy and Mary Fairchild. She was born August 04, 1903 in Ithaca, Tompkins, NY, and died April 29, 1988 in Ithaca, Tompkins, NY.
Was a member of the ROTC at Cornell University in 1918 while he studied Mechanical Engineering.
He had to leave school to assist his father on the farm, a protected occupation, and worked the farm until he sold it in the 40s. He worked at the Willard Asylum for a period of time as a night orderly, often being the only 'sane' individual in the building he was working in. Worked for Cornell University in the Agricultural research division until retirement in 1966, a total of 16 years, working on corn hybrids.
Notes for Helen Elizabeth Murphy:
Attended nursing school and worked as a nurse. Met her husband when he was a patient.
Children of John Swarthout and Helen Murphy are:
27 i. John Wychoff Swarthout, born June 04, 1929; died March 10, 1946 in Ithaca, NY of Leukemia that he diagnosed himself at 16 years of age.
+ 28 ii. Arthur Wellington Swarthout, born in Seneca Falls, New York.
22. Myron Henry Swarthout, Jr. (Myron Henry, John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born February 04, 1909, and died December 1986 in Canandaigua, NY. He married Barbara Carlson 1932.
Child of Myron Swarthout and Barbara Carlson is:
24. Lorenza "Windy" Swarthout (Charles Lewis, John W., Lewis
B., Johnathon) was born 1895.
Child of Lorenza "Windy" Swarthout is:
30 i. Alice M. Swarthout.
Generation No. 6
28. Arthur Wellington Swarthout (John Wychoff, Myron Henry, John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born in Seneca Falls, New York. He married Elizabeth Jean Lindsay August 23, 1957 in West Decatur, PA, daughter of Irvin Lindsay and Amanda Shaw. She was born in Philipsburg, PA.
Notes for Arthur Wellington Swarthout:
BA - West Virginia Wesleyan - 1954
M.Div - Garrett Theological, Il - 1958
M.Lib.Sci - University of Maryland - 1968
Notes for Elizabeth Jean Lindsay:
B.S. - Home Economics - WV Wesleyan
M.A. - WV University
More About Arthur Swarthout and Elizabeth Lindsay:
Marriage: August 23, 1957, West Decatur, PA
Children of Arthur Swarthout and Elizabeth Lindsay are:
+ 31 i. Mark Wellington Swarthout, born in Belvidere, IL.
32 ii. Mary Beth Swarthout, born in Butler, Pennsylvania.
BA - Berea College - 5/82 M.Math - University of Miami, OH 8/84 PhD - Math
Education Ohio State
33 iii. Sarah Jean Swarthout, born in Bethesda, Maryland. She married Thomas Michael Howard on May 24, 1986 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
BA - Nebraska Wesleyan - 5/87 M.Lib.Sci. - University of Missouri - 6/90
Generation No. 7
31. Mark Wellington Swarthout (Arthur Wellington, John Wychoff, Myron Henry, John W., Lewis B., Johnathon) was born in Belvidere, IL. He married Catherine Lynn Cavellier April 09, 1988 in Oakland County, MI, daughter of Gerald Patrick Cavellier and Ella Jean Stringfield. She was born in Detroit, MI.
Commissioned US Navy - 4 May 1980 - Resigned 30 July 1986
Navy Expeditionary Medal - Beirut, Lebanon 1983
BS - Texas A&M University 5/80 - JD - U of Detroit 5/94
Children of Mark Swarthout and Catherine Cavellier are Identical Twins:
34 i. Lindsay Rose Swarthout, born in Southfield, MI.
35 ii. Heather Anne Swarthout, born in Southfield, MI.